This article contains all of the technical troubleshooting suggestions related to performance issues we have to offer, including some common problems players have reported. Specifically, it covers a few types of problems you may experience in the game:
- Lag, in which responses to your inputs take longer than expected due to PC or network slowness
- Other performance problems like significantly increasing memory utilization, frequent stuttering, and others
- Freezes, in which the game client completely stops responding but doesn't crash to desktop. (We have another article dedicated specifically to troubleshooting crashes.)
Before investigating your issue, check our status page to make sure there are no service outages impacting your experience.
Also make sure that your system meets our minimum requirements. Poor performance is a common symptom of running a machine below our recommend specifications.
Sometimes lag is caused by network problems. We have another article covering Connection Issues in further detail, but some basic troubleshooting is worthwhile to isolate if the lag you're seeing is due to a network issue. If you have access to other machines on the same network, try playing the game on the other machine. If you see better performance on another machine on the same network, it indicates a problem with your original machine. Similarly if you have a laptop, try playing it on another network. If you see better performance there, it points to a problem on the other network.
Some basic steps worth trying to work around performance issues are as follows:
- Restart your PC and router to see the problem was caused by something running in memory.
- Try shutting down other programs while playing the game - particularly ones that use the internet or take up significant system memory. Software like video streaming services can impair performance due bandwidth consumption or memory utilization.
- Try using a wired network if you're having problems on wireless. This can work around any wireless network quality issues you're having.
- Make sure Windows and graphics card drivers are up to date, as updates may contain performance improvements or related bug fixes.
- Try lowering Quality to Low in the game client → gear icon → Graphics screen
If none of the steps above resolve the problem, you may also want to try these solutions:
- Restore your graphics card settings to their defaults and temporarily remove any overclocking software you're using.
- Try creating a new Windows user, logging in as that user, and playing the game from there. In rare cases, bad Windows profile data can cause issues with the game.
- Use software like HWMonitor (which offers a free version) to detect if any of your PC components are overheating. If you find they are, cleaning them to allow airflow or installing a cooling system may improve system performance.
- Use software like Memtest (which offers a free version) to check for errors in your PC's RAM.
If you are still having problems after trying these steps, you may also want to check on our forums to see if other players have already found a way to resolve them. To help us identify new issues and develop our knowledge base, you can also contact us, including a game log file, DxDiag file, and a screenshot of any error messages you're seeing.