This article covers troubleshooting steps you can perform when you're experiencing regular game crashes.
First, make sure that your machine meets our minimum system requirements - crashes, performance issues, or graphics problems are the most common results of trying to play the game on a machine below our minimum specs.
Another first step when you're experiencing crashes is to uninstall MTG Arena and reinstall it from this link. This will resolve any problems due to bad installs and will make sure you have the latest game updates. Similarly, make sure you have the latest Windows and graphics driver updates installed in case you're experiencing a bug that's already been resolved.
If you're experiencing a performance-related crash, try the steps in our Performance Issues, Lag, and Freezes article such as:
- Lowering Quality to Low in the game client → gear icon → Graphics
- Closing other programs you're running at the same time, particularly software that utilizes a lot of system memory or bandwidth, like streaming video
Solutions to Common Problems
"Entry Point Not Found" Error
- Update to the latest version of the .NET framework
You're stuck at Checking for Updates with a Null Reference Error
- See this article for detailed steps on how to resolve this error.
If none of the steps above resolve the problem, you may also want to try these solutions:
- If your client crashes on startup with a Unity window / red exclamation point icon, check if you have Citrix or Duet Display installed. If you have Citrix, install Citrix Workspace build 1810. If you have Duet Display, try uninstalling it.
- More generally, other software can interfere with MTG Arena in some cases. To determine if this may be the case with something running on your machine, try performing a clean boot and just running MTG Arena without other software running. If this prevents the crash, re-introduce your other software one program at a time until you identify which software is creating the conflict, then pursue troubleshooting for that specific program.
- In your graphics card settings, restore settings to default.
If you are still having problems after trying all these steps, please contact us, including a game log file, a DxDiag file, a Windows Event Log file, and a screenshot of any error messages you're seeing.