This article contains all of the technical troubleshooting suggestions related to display issues we have to offer, including some common problems players have reported. The most common cause for graphics-related problems we receive is players using machines below our minimum system requirements. Please first check those and make sure your machine meets or exceeds those.
Another good first step is uninstalling the game, reinstalling it from here, and restarting your PC. This can resolve problems resulting from corrupt installs, missing files, or some Windows-level problems.
Finally, in your graphics card settings (NVIDIA control Panel, Catalyst Software, etc.), make sure you are using your graphics card for MTG Arena rather than your integrated video card.
Solutions to Common Problems
MTG Arena opens in a small window and can't be maximized
To resolve this on a PC, right-click the shortcut you use to launch the game and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab, change Run to Maximized, save your changes, and launch the game using that shortcut.
The game opens with just a black screen
This is typically caused either by attempting to play the game with a machine that doesn't meet our minimum system requirements, or due to connection issues. For the latter, please follow the steps in our Connection Issues article.
The MTG Arena store is only displaying a white screen
This error is generally caused when new system updates are needed. Please attempt the troubleshooting steps below to resolve the issue:
- Restart your PC and attempt to make a purchase in the game again.
- Install .NET 4.7.2 if you haven't already using the link on this page under 'Runtime'.
- For Windows 7 or 8, install update KB4019990 if you haven't already.
- If you still get the white screen, please try an alternate payment method to complete your purchase, such as PayPal.
If none of the steps above resolve the problem, you may also want to try these solutions:
- Make sure your operating system and graphics drivers are up to date - specific steps will very by brand.
- Make sure you are using a 64-bit client, as 32-bit clients are no longer supported as of the Core Set 2021 release. This was necessary to improve game and client performance and expand our supported platforms. Though impacting less than 1% of players, you can verify which version of Windows you're running in your System settings.
- If you're having problems with window size on a PC, open exe, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Wizards Of The Coast/MTGA/, and delete the following 3 settings:
- Screenmanager Is Fullscreen
- Screenmanager Resolution Height
- Screenmanager Resolution Width
Note: Making mistakes when editing registry settings can cause significant problems for your systems, so use caution when making these changes.
If you are still having problems after trying these steps, you may also want to check on our forums to see if other players have already found a way to resolve them. To help us identify new issues and develop our knowledge base, you can also contact us, including a game log file, a DxDiag file, and a screenshot of the behavior you're seeing.