This article covers some common display issues players have reported. The most common cause for graphics-related problems we receive is players using machines below our minimum system requirements. Please first check those and make sure your machine meets or exceeds those.
Another good first step is uninstalling the game, reinstalling it from here, and restarting your PC. This can resolve problems resulting from corrupt installs, missing files, or some Windows-level problems.
Finally, in your graphics card settings (NVIDIA control Panel, Catalyst Software, etc.), make sure you are using your graphics card for MTG Arena rather than your integrated video card.
Solutions to Common Problems
MTG Arena opens in a small window and can't be maximized
- To resolve this, right-click the shortcut you use to launch the game and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab, change Run to Maximized, save your changes, and launch the game using that shortcut.
The game opens with just a black screen
- This is typically caused either by attempting to play the game with a machine that doesn't meet our minimum system requirements, or due to connection issues. For the latter, please follow the steps in our Connection Issues article
If none of the steps above resolve the problem, you may also want to try these solutions:
- Make sure your operating system and graphics drivers are up to date - specific steps will very by brand.
- If you're having problems with window size, open exe, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Wizards Of The Coast/MTGA/, and delete the following 3 settings:
- Screenmanager Is Fullscreen
- Screenmanager Resolution Height
- Screenmanager Resolution Width
Note: Making mistakes when editing registry settings can cause significant problems for your systems, so use caution when making these changes.