You may experience problems updating the game if you're having network issues, certain Windows-level problems, or if you have remnants of a previous partial install on your system. If you encounter an error during an install or update, often uninstalling the game from Control Panel → Programs and Features, redownloading it from here, and restarting the install will solve the issue. When that doesn't work, try the other solutions in this article. It contains all of the technical troubleshooting suggestions we have to offer, including some common problems players have reported.
Epic Games Launcher Issues
If you are running the game via the Epic Games Launcher, please see their customer service site for troubleshooting steps specific to that platform.
Solutions to Common Problems
You can't uninstall MTG Arena
- Some third-party programs like Revo Uninstaller offer free versions and are effective at uninstalling software if you have problems doing so with native Windows functionality.
The installer prompts you to install the game to a drive you no longer have
- This most commonly happens if you previously had the game installed on a drive and have since removed that drive. To resolve this, take the steps below if you are comfortable editing your registry settings. Note: Any deviation from these steps to edit your registry settings could cause significant problems for your system, so use caution when making these changes.
- If any version of MTG Arena appears in Control Panel → Programs and Features, uninstall it
- Open regedit.exe
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node
- Delete the Wizards of the Coast folder
- Redownload and install the game from https://mtgarena.downloads.wizards.com/Live/Windows32/MTGAInstaller.exe
You're stuck at Checking for Updates with a Null Reference Error
- See this article for detailed steps on how to resolve this error.
If none of the steps above resolve the problem, you may also want to try these solutions:
- Right-click MTGAInstaller.exe and run it as an Administrator
- Create a new Windows administrator account on your computer, log in as that account, and install the game from there.
- Follow our connection troubleshooting guide to make sure network issues aren't interfering with the download and install of the game. In particular:
- Some players have worked around some problems by using a US-based VPN while installing updates.
- Temporarily disabling antivirus and firewall software (including Windows Firewall) may help if some software interferes with MTG Arena's update process.
- To disable Windows Firewall, go to Control Panel → System and Security → Windows Firewall → Turn Windows Firewall On or Off
- Try downloading updates over a wired connection instead of wireless if you're having connectivity issues.
- For update issues specifically, try updating with the latest MSI file referenced here: https://forums.mtgarena.com/forums/threads/58489
- Make sure you're up to date with Windows updates
If you are still having problems after trying these steps, you may also want to check on our forums to see if other players have already found a way to resolve them. To help us identify new issues and develop our knowledge base, you can also contact us, including install logs and a DxDiag file.