There are two main categories of connection problems - not being able to connect to our servers at all, or connecting but having issues with your connection quality such as constant disconnects or lag. This article contains all of the technical troubleshooting suggestions we have to offer, including some common problems players have reported.
Before investigating your issue, check our status page to make sure there are no service outages impacting your experience.
If you can't connect to our servers at all, the following are some basic steps to try:
- Restart your computer
- Restart your router
- Try a couple different networks and/or computers if you have access to them to see if the problem is specific to one of them.
- Some school or work networks block game traffic, so you may not be able to play on those.
- Temporarily disable your firewalls or add exceptions for MTG Arena
- To disable Windows Firewall, go to Control Panel → System and Security → Windows Firewall → Turn Windows Firewall On or Off.
- Third party firewalls will each have different instructions for this - check your brand's documentation for steps to do this.
- Temporarily disable your antivirus software or add an exception for MTG Arena.
- If you are using a VPN or proxy, try connecting without it.
- Flush your DNS cache and perform a winsock reset.
If you can connect but can't play due to persistent disconnects or lag, try the following:
- Make sure you are using a broadband connection (25 Mbps download speed and 3 Mbps upload speed or better).
- Temporarily close as many other programs that use the internet as possible, particularly things like streaming video - this can prevent reaching bandwidth constraints.
- Try using a wired connection instead of wireless - this can avoid wireless network quality problems.
- If you have a laptop, try taking it to a different network and playing from there to see if you notice improvements with a different network or different ISP.
Mac Troubleshooting and Epic Games Launcher Issues
If you are running the game via the Epic Games Launcher on PC or Mac, please see their customer service site for troubleshooting steps specific to that platform.
If you are experiencing continuous connection loss, please use the Epic Games Launcher to update to the latest version of MTG Arena and log in again.
Solutions to Common PC Problems
- "Connection Lost - Could not resolve player inventory" Error Message
- A common cause for this is software call Killer Network Manager being out of date. Either uninstall it or update it to Killer Control Center to work around this problem.
- Error Code: Forbidden (403)
- This is not actually a connection issue. Instead, it means your account has been deactivated. If you see this error, please contact us to discuss this with our support team.
Advanced Troubleshooting (PC)
If none of the steps above resolve the problem, you may also want to try these solutions:
- Try changing to a public DNS with these steps:
- Go to the Control Panel → Network and Internet → Network and Sharing Center → Change Adapter Settings → right click on the adapter you're using and click Properties → On the Networking tab, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties. Select Use the following DNS server addresses and enter 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 as the servers. Restart your computer and see if you see any difference in behavior.
- This can cause problems on some corporate networks - you may need to undo this change if it prevents you from accessing other sites you need.
- If you've made any customizations related to MTG Arenain C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts, remove those.
- Try forwarding the following TCP ports: 80, 443, 9405, 9505
- Try connecting with a US-based VPN
- Update your network drivers by going to Device Manager → Network Adapters → right-click the adapter you're using → Update Driver Software
If you are still having problems after trying these steps, you may also want to check on our forums to see if other players have already found a way to resolve them. To help us identify new issues and develop our knowledge base, you can also contact us here including a game log file and a screenshot of any error messages you're seeing.