To begin a Direct Challenge game, you’ll need:
- Your display name and the five-digit number associated with your account. To find this:
- Click on the Home tab
- Click on the Direct Challenge Play Blade icon on the upper right-hand side of the screen. This takes you to the Direct Challenge menu
Tip: If you click on your name in the Direct Challenge menu, it will automatically copy to your clipboard, making it easier to share!
- Your opponent's display name and the five-digit number associated with their account (Don’t forget that display names are case sensitive!)
To Challenge Your Friends:
- In the Direct Challenge menu (see steps above), enter your opponent’s name and five-digit number in the Opponent field. By default, the info for the last five opponents you’ve faced will be saved here
- Click the Select Deck button to choose from your available MTG Arena decks
- Click the Play button
Once you hit Play you will be taken to the matchmaking screen. From there, the system will wait for your opponent to challenge you in return before putting you into a match. Good luck!
How do I find the 5-digit number associated with my display name?
Your display name (including the five-digit #) is automatically shown on the Direct Challenge Play Blade; clicking your name while in the Direct Challenge Play Blade will copy it to your clipboard. You can also view this at any time on your Profile page.
How do I find my opponent's display name?
Currently, you must ask for your opponent's name outside of the game system. Reminder that display names are case sensitive.
How do my opponents know I've challenged them to a game?
There is no in-game notification that someone has challenged you to a game. A game will only start once both players have challenged each other.
How long do we have to challenge each other?
Once a player has entered the matchmaking screen, the system will wait up to 60 minutes before timing out.
Which formats are supported?
Direct Challenge only requires players to have a constructed deck with a minimum of 60 cards that are currently in their collection. There is no maximum deck size. This allows you to play Standard, Singleton, Pauper, or even your own homebrewed variant. Please note that the current system only enforces the 60-card minimum deck.
Does Direct Challenge affect my Player Rank?
No. Though your Rank Icon will display in the match loading screen, the game results will not increase or decrease your current Player Rank.